The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) revised the older standard relating to first aid kits in the workplace (ANSI Z308.1-2003) with a more recent revision, ANSI Z308.1-2009. There are a few changes that safety managers and customers should note. The new standard now lists 10 required first aid kit items instead of the original eight items for workplace first aid kits and also lists 10 recommended first aid kit supply items to fill workplace first aid kits. Another standard change is that latex is to be eliminated from the workplace first aid kit altogether.
The new required items are:
(1) First Aid Guide
(1) Absorbent Compress 4″ X 8″ minimum
(16) 1″ X 3″ Adhesive Bandages
(1) Adhesive Tape 2.5 yard roll
(10) Antiseptic Treatment Applications 0.9 Gram each
(6) Burn Treatment Applications 0.9 Gram each
(4) 3″ X 3″ Sterile Gauze Pads
(2) Pair Medical Exam Gloves
(1) Triangular Bandage 40″ X 40″ X 56″ min
(6) Antibiotic Ointment Applications 0.5 Gram each.